Note: One game max per franchise. Rough personal chronological order.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 - Epic war ships in World 8.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Many fond memories of trying to go beyond the boundaries of the game world.
- Sonic 2 - Underwater countdown timer still stressful.
- Chrono Trigger - Perhaps the best RPG ever?
- Pokemon Yellow (Japanese version) - Christmas gift from an exchange student. Getting the Surf HM was tough (I couldn’t read Japanese yet).
- Super Metroid - I think this took me a few years to beat.
- Final Fantasy VI - Fun fact: if you plug in a second controller, you and your friend can control the game.
- Earthbound - Boundless style.
- Super Smash Brothers - Melee is my favorite but I’m more competitive at Ultimate.
- Metal Gear Solid 2 - Pulled an all-nighter with friends for this mind-trip.
- Soul Calibur 2 - Loved the first, and this was better in every way.
- Viewtiful Joe - Incredibly stylish.
- Resident Evil 4 - Haven’t played the remake, but would like to someday.
- Okami - Best 3d Zelda game.
Recent (Last ten years or so)
- Dragon Quest XI (played w/ family) - The DQ team knows how to do small delight and grand music.
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - Delightfully difficult but can be played with others.
- Shovel Knight - A love letter to childhood platformers.
- Hollow Knight - Atmospheric joy.
- Celeste - Best “retry after dying” of any game I’ve ever played.
- Factorio - This game teaches you about systems.
(i.e., other games that I have fond memories of)
- Kirby Superstar
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater
- NFL Blitz
- Snowbaord Kids
- Banjo Kazooie
- Mario Tennis
- Wave Race
- Super Mario 64
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- 1080° Snowboarding
- Devil May Cry
- Gran Turismo
- Animal Crossing
- NBA Street Vol. 2
- Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2
- Virtua Fighter 4